To celebrate the toy department’s fortieth anniversary, the Musée des Arts Décoratifs is showing Toy Box / Le coffre à jouer from 9 april to 30 august 2015. This exhibition will be a unique opportunity to see the museum’s toys like never before, and discover a selection of more than 300 emblematic traditional and modern toys, ranging from unique, priceless creations to handmade artefacts and including cult objects from france and elsewhere, each piece is representative of the History of toys yet exceptional due to its own history, the techniques used in its making, and its significance. Some have emerged from our storerooms to be shown for the first time. The exhibition ends with a display of artists’ and designers’ toys stemming from the pedagogical and formal research characteristic of the 20th and 21st centuries. They include a yoyo by Sonia Delaunay, a pull-along dog by Keith Haring, a jigsaw puzzle by Antonio Vitali and soft toys by Takashi Murakami. The show is curated by Anne Monier, Curator of the toys department.
- Special Anniversary Barbie Doll, Mattel, USA 1994 Vinyl, plastic, fabric, 29 cm © MAD, Paris / photo : Jean Tholance
- School with little dolls, Atlas N.K., France 1930 Cardboard, celluloid, fabric, wood, paper © MAD, Paris / photo : Jean Tholance
- Baby’s rattle, 19th century Hand-embossed and engraved silver, mother-of-pearl handle © MAD, Paris / photo : Jean Tholance
- Hulk, Mego Corporation, USA 1978 Plastic, fabric, 30 cm © MAD, Paris / photo : Jean Tholance
- Little Red Riding Hood girl’s doll Printed fabric, 37 cm © MAD, Paris / photo : Jean Tholance
- The Little Prince by John Wright, USA 1983 Felt body and clothes, painted face, 46 cm © MAD, Paris / photo : Jean Tholance
- Chien n°9260, jouet à trainer, Keith Haring, Fabricant Vilac, 1993 Bois peint laqué, métal, caoutchouc, fibres synthétiques © MAD, Paris / photo : Jean Tholance