Former residence of the archbishops whose construction began in the 13th century, the Palais de la Berbie is situated in the very heart of the city’s historical centre of Albi. The Toulouse-Lautrec galleries were inaugurated at the Palais de la Berbie in 1922 with the help of an exceptional bequest from the Count and Countess of Toulouse-Lautrec. Besides, the museum keeps archeological, ancient and modern art collections.
Jules Cheret and the Belle Epoque – from posters to decor was on view at the Musée Toulouse-Lautrec from 29 September to 31st december 2012. The exhibition was previously visible in the Advertising Galleries of the Musée des Arts Décoratifs in Paris from 23 June to 7 November 2010. Curated by Réjane Bargiel, head curator of the Advertising Collections at Les Arts Décoratifs, and Ségolène Le Men, Professor at the Université de Paris Ouest Nanterre La Défense, the exhibition enabled to rediscover the work of Jules Chéret. Nearly 240 of the artist’s original works had been brought together for the first time for this exhibition, made possible by a partnership between three European institutions: the Museum Villa Stuck in Munich in Germany, the Musée d’Ixelles in Brussels and the Musée Toulouse-Lautrec in Albi.