The rotisserie, which stands against the wall, comprises a central firebox for spit-roasting large joints of meat. An ingenious system made the spits turn: the heat of the fire activated a “smokejack” device in the flue. The left-hand section contains an oven with a grill; on the right is an oven called a “salamander,” originally gas-fired. The grill and salamander were converted to electricity in 1931 and fitted with a motor to turn the spits. The rotisserie and ovens have slatted doors that could be raised or lowered by a counterweight system.