The room’s decor comes from a mansion in Place Louis-le-Grand, now 16 Place Vendôme, built from 1723 to 1724 by the contractor Pierre Grandhomme. The octagonally shaped Place Louis-le-Grand was one of the major real estate developments in 18th-century Paris and today Place Vendôme is still graced with its elegant classical facades.
The mansion had several owners before it was acquired by Jean-Pierre Serres, from the Vivarais region (Ardèche), in 1785 and remained his property until 1805. Although we do not know the names of the artists who worked on this decor, we know that it was created while Jean-Pierre Serres was the mansion’s owner. It was dismantled in the early 20th century and acquired by the interior designer Eugène Barriol, who bequeathed it to the museum.
The mansion’s successive owners: